Why I Quit the Whole30 Early
I stopped the Whole30 on Day 17. A quitter? Yep, but I’m okay with that. Read more below!
What I wanted to improve when I started:
- Upset stomach
What improved even on the first day:
- Upset stomach
- Heartburn lessened
What did not necessarily improve:
- I didn’t lose any weight
- My energy levels felt about the same
- I was a little depressed
- Sweet potato cake, sweet potato egg nest, banana with almond butter, coffee with almond milk and vanilla extract
- Leftover spaghetti squash pie, carrots, Lara Bar
- Beanless Chili
- Other than that, fine
- Sweet potato egg nests were good, but at the store I actually picked up the potatoes that said “Sweet Potatoes.” I usually get yams which are the orange ones, and these “sweet potatoes” were sweet but more like white potatoes. It was weird.
- I did not enjoy that chili. It was way too much red sauce and I couldn’t use Greek Yogurt to calm down the spice.
- Two sweet potato egg nests, banana with almond butter, coffee with almond milk and vanilla extract
- Beanless chili leftovers
- Paleo bang bang shrimp, egg drop soup, frozen and blended banana with almond butter
- Heartburn, probably from the chili
- Depressed and moody
I was in a foul mood all day. I never realized how much food is a part of my social life until these past few weeks doing the Whole30. I usually like to go out with people for coffee, tea, drinks, fro yo, appetizers, or whatever, but I just didn’t want to go out anywhere with the Whole30. Mattox was concerned when I just wanted to stay in and cook and watch a movie. I didn’t want to go anywhere because there would be too many temptations and I would just feel sad.
I really wanted to have a treat and made some banana and almond butter ice cream for after dinner and actually felt bad about it. Which was also concerning. I shouldn’t feel bad about eating fruit and almond butter, but with the Whole30, you aren’t supposed to eat any snacks. I understand the concept behind it and wanting to break habits of not having something sweet every night, but I find joy in making sweet things out of natural foods. I realize that after the Whole30 it would be fine to eat that, but I also didn’t have much motivation to continue for 2 more weeks.
I already felt better as far as stomach issues go, but the heartburn didn’t really go away. I just need to see my doctor for that. I have been feeling really restricted and deprived on the Whole30, and it was great to do for 2 weeks, but I seriously started thinking about quitting.
I decided to try and keep going. I made a commitment to myself for 30 days, I wanted to do it for Lent, and I am publicly blogging about it, so I have to keep doing it, right?
- Two sweet potato egg nests, apple, coffee with almond milk and vanilla extract
- Salad with salami, capers, carrots, red wine vinegar, olive oil, spices
- Balsamic vinegar chicken, salad, chia kombucha drink
- A little bloaty
- Fine other than that
- Balsamic chicken was a little dry but really filling
- I did our taxes all morning so I wouldn’t be tempted to go out with friends, went babysitting, and then made our dinner and got ready for the partay.
- I brought my own Kombucha drink to Tori’s party because I knew they would have a lot of cool cocktails that I would just have to watch other people drink. Kombucha drinks are pricey, but it was way worth it because at least I felt like I was part of the party. I couldn’t have brought my own drink to a restaurant. Oh, did I mention the birthday cake was beautiful and covered in coconut flakes? I had to enjoy it by drooling over everyone else’s plate.
Day 17 Quitting for Good: Reintroduce Gluten
- 2 eggs with sauteed spinach and garlic, honey mango
- Whole wheat bagel with eggs and veggies
- Kashi Berry Fruitful CEREAL with unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- Rueben Bowl, Lara Bar
- Tired from staying up the night before and not having coffee
- So free
I turned down coffee in the morning because I just didn’t want it. It doesn’t taste good black or even with almond milk. I should even be allowed to live in Seattle if I don’t drink coffee. After church, Mattox and I were invited to go meet with a friend who was visiting Seattle from Georgia. He wanted to go to a bagel place, so of course we went with his choice because that was his last meal in Seattle.
That was it for me. I got a bagel sandwich with eggs and veggies.
Oh, I don’t know if I have ever had a better bagel in my life. Crunchy outside, soft and chewy inside, perfect whole wheat taste, it was heaven. During the Whole30 you are supposed to slow down and savor your foods, but I don’t think I have ever savored a food as much as this.
Then later in the afternoon, I had a salad and a bowl of cereal. I love cereal. Mattox knows this and he was so excited for me to eat it for the first time in 16 days. I literally tell him sometimes that I need to go to bed sooner so that I can sleep and wake up to have a bowl of cereal.
It felt amazing. I didn’t even feel guilty at all, just grateful and free. Which reminds me of my post about Clean Eating and the freedom and good conscience we should have with our diets. It is for freedom Christ has set us free. Why keep doing something that feel enslaving, crushing, and that I will definitely not continue for life? I never encourage a diet that is not sustainable. I feel like I have fulfilled my purpose for doing it, which was to see what foods were harming my stomach.
I also felt validated by the Whole30 program itself: “When the Whole30 is hurting more than it’s helping, it’s time to abort.”
My Reintroduction Plan:
Day 1-3: Gluten. Eat cereal, pasta, pretzels, etc. Keep everything else Whole30.
Day 4-6: Dairy. Have creamer with my coffee, cheese with my eggs and pizza, fro yo with friends. Keep everything else Whole30.
Day 7-9: Non-Gluten Grains. Rice with sushi, corn tortilla chips, gluten-free pancakes. Keep everything else Whole30.
Day 10-12: Legumes. Peanut butter, corn, tofu. Keep everything else Whole30.
Day 13: Desserts and Alcohol. Yes, I will have a coconut Margarita and a Georgia Mud Fudge Blizzard when this is done. Then I’ll see how I feel and determine what to cut out for good and what to keep in my diet.
- Kashi Shredded Wheat with almond milk, half of an apple with almond butter, coffee
- Leftover balsamic chicken with salad, carrots, banana
- Beef tacos with guac, sweet red peppers, spinach, salsa
- Lots of bloating
- Upset stomach
- A little scared. Could gluten be causing my upset stomach? It really is a noticeable difference.
- I know I am tired from the night before, but at least I can have a tortilla.
- Kashi Shredded Wheat with almond milk, honey mango, coffee
- Beef tacos with guac, sweet red peppers, guac, side of cucumbers, carrots, pretzels
- Turkey meatballs with pasta and homemade pesto, broccoli breadsticks
- My stomach is still more upset than it was without eating grains.
- Tuesdays are hard days because I dont get much sleep and exercise a lot. Feeling really sore already but excited to have a latte tomorrow.
Day 20 Reintroduce Dairy
- Frittata with Italian chicken sausage, sweet potatoes, mushrooms, and hot sauce; non-fat latte with cinnamon at work
- Deli turkey; carrots, cucumbers, and sweet peppers with guacamole; broccoli breadsticks
- Honey mango, non-fat half-caff latte
- Grain-Free Pizza with homemade pesto, cheese, mushrooms, Italian chicken sausage; raw veggies and guac
- The worst heartburn all day
- My stomach was better today more than yesterday even though I had cheese on eggs in the morning, 2 lattes, and cheese on pizza.
- My heartburn was so bad. It was really painful all day until I could eat Tums when I got home.
I’m gong to keep recording my eats, feelings, and thoughts mostly so I can figure out what it is that is hurting my stomach. I’m really scared its gluten or grains, but even if it is then it will be helpful to know. If you are reading this and hate TMI about the stomach issues, I apologize. You can just look at the food pictures instead
Have you ever quit anything? How did it feel?