This recipe is so nice for these chilly nights! I kind of love potatoes, and this a lightened up version of this recipe. If you want to make this a quick recipe, grab a packet of dry ranch seasoning. I have a small stock of homemade ranch seasoning, so I used 2 tablespoons of that and it gave it a great little kick. You can easily make this gluten free by using all purpose gluten free flour.
- 4 Slices Bacon
- 1 Onion, diced (or use a frozen bag like I did)
- 2 T Flour
- 14 Oz. Organic Chicken Broth, divided
- 2 Lbs potatoes (about 3 large potatoes), cut into large chunks
- 1 Lb Frozen Cauliflower
- 1 Packet Dry Ranch Seasoning
- 1 C low-fat evaporated milk
- 2 Oz. Cream Cheese
- ½ C Plain Greek Yogurt, divided
- ¼ cup chopped fresh chives
- ¾ C Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- Cook and stir bacon in large skillet on medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from skillet with slotted spoon, reserving 2 Tbsp. drippings in skillet. Drain bacon on paper towels; refrigerate until ready to use.
- Add onions to drippings in skillet; cook and stir 5 min. or until crisp-tender. Stir in flour; cook and stir 1 min. Add 1 cup broth; cook and stir 2 min. or until sauce comes to boil and thickens. Pour into slow cooker. Stir in remaining broth, potatoes, frozen cauliflower, ranch seasoning; cover with lid.
- Cook on low 8 to 10 hours (or HIGH 5 to 6 hours).
- Use slotted spoon to transfer 4 cups potatoes to medium bowl; mash until smooth. Or use an immersion blender if you have one. Stir mashed potatoes evaporated milk, and cream cheese into slow cooker; cook, covered, 5 min. or until heated through.
- Place bacon on paper towel-covered microwaveable plate. Microwave on high 20 to 30 sec. or until heated through. Serve soup topped with bacon, cheese, 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt and chives.
What are your favorite soups for the cold weather?